Claremont, Calif. - Pomona-Pitzer had a dominant showing in doubles against No. 5 Bowdoin, but the Polar Bears bounced back in singles for a 6-3 win on Friday in the first round of the Stag-Hen Invitational at the Pauley Tennis Complex.
The Sagehens then swept doubles in a consolation match with Swartmore, but lost all six singles matches to once again fall by a 6-3 score. With the losses, Pomona-Pitzer slips to 2-7 on the year, while Bowdoin remains perfect at 4-0 (heading into its afternoon match with Emory) and Swarthmore improves to 3-4.
Against fifth-ranked Bowdoin, Pomona-Pitzer took an 8-1 win at No. 1 doubles with seniors Max Sabel (Sun Valley, Idaho) and Frankie Allinson (McGregor, Texas), and an 8-0 win at No. 3 doubles with sophomores Connor Hudson (Golden, Colo. - pictured) and Connor Sutton (Overland Park, Kan.).
The Sagehens almost pulled off a clean sweep, but Bowdoin's Noah Bragg and Samuel King pulled out a 9-7 win at No. 2 after sophomore Kevin Wei (San Diego, Calif.) had a return winner for a break to tie it 7-7.
Hudson ended up providing the only singles point for Pomona-Pitzer by taking the third set 6-4 against King. However, Casey Grindon fought off two match points in the second set at No. 2 and won in three to provide the clinching point. An hour later, Chase Savage wrapped up the match with a win at No. 6, which started late.
In the second match, Pomona-Pitzer was completely untested in doubles, with Sabel and Allison winning their second 8-1 decision of the day, Wei and junior Chris Wiechert (Eugene, Ore.) also winning 8-1, and Sutton and Hudson winning 8-4.
However, singles went the exact opposite direction, as Swarthmore pulled out all six lines for the 6-3 win. Wiechert took the first set at 2, and Hudson won his at 3, but both ended up falling in three sets. Sabel also had a first-set tiebreaker at 1, but then fell 6-1 in the second.
Pomona-Pitzer completes play at the Stag-Hen with a consolation match tomorrow at 10 a.m.
No. 5 Bowdoin 6, No. 16 Pomona-Pitzer 3
1) Frankie Allinson/Max Sabel (PP) def Doug Caplan/Kyle Wolstencroft 8-1
2) Samuel King/Noah Bragg (BC) def Chris Wiechert/Kevin Wei 9-7
3) Connor Hudson/Connor Sutton (PP) def Casey Grindon/Chris Lord 8-0
1) Noah Bragg (BC) def Chris Wiechert 6-1, 6-4
2) Casey Grindon (BC) def Max Sabel 5-7, 7-6 (2), 6-1
3) Connor Hudson (PP) def Samuel King 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
4) Chris Lord (BC) def Thomas Low 6-1, 6-2
5) Kyle Wolstencroft (BC) def Frankie Allinson 6-3, 6-4
6) Chase Savage (BC) def Kevin Wei 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish:
Swarthmore 6, Pomona-Pitzer 3
1) Max Sabel/Frankie Allinson (PP) def Max Sacks/Christian Carcione 8-1
2) Chris Wiechert/Kevin Wei (PP) def Anthony Collard /Preston Poon 8-1
3) Connor Hudson/Connor Sutton (PP) def William Lennon/Malik Mubeen 8-4
1) Anthony Collard (SC) def Max Sabel 7-6 (4), 6-1
2) Max Sacks (SC) def Chris Wiechert 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
3) Preston Poon (SC) def Connor Hudson 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
4) Irving Stone (SC) def Frankie Allinson 6-3, 6-4
5) Malik Mubeen (SC) def Thomas Low 6-3, 6-2
6) William Lennon (SC) def Jonathan Kim 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: