MURFREESBORO, TN — The No. 6 Pomona-Pitzer Women's Tennis team made quick work of No. 14 Johns Hopkins, rolling on their way to a 9-0 win in the opening round of the ITA Division III National Women's Team Indoor Championship.
The Saghens enter the tournament as the No. 2 overall seed. The Blue Jays are seeded seventh.
Casper continued her dominance in the No. 1 singles match. Casper, the sixth ranked singles player in the nation took down eleventh ranked Ashnaa Rao 6-1, 6-1.
It was the same story for the Sagehens in the No. 2-6 matches. Zhao won in the No. 2 slot 6-3, 6-2, and Mae Coyiuto won in the No. 3 spot 6-4, 6-3.
Next Mach: The Sagehens advance to the semifinals tomorrow and will play either the University of Chicago at 12:30 p.m. central time. The Maroons defeated Sewanee 7-2 in their opening match.
Complete Match Information
1. #6 Caroline Casper (PP) def. #11 Ashnaa Rao (JHU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Maryann Zhao (PP) def. Megumi Chen (JHU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Mae Coyiuto (PP) def. Jody Law (JHU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Arianna Chen (PP) def. #24 Sophia Strickland (JHU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Emily Chen (PP) def. Caroline Greydak (JHU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Yurie Heard (PP) def. Kimberly Zou (JHU) 6-4, 6-3
Johns Hopkins 1-1; National ranking #14
Pomona-Pitzer 5-1; National ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,2,4,3,5,6)